Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:22:43 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Legal Advise Please ...[Fwd: Crash Report]...[longish]
Comments: To: Tyrone Greene <macpine@EARTHLINK.NET>

>"Our investigation has revealed that in an attempt to drive around a >staled vehicle you backed into our insured's vehicle causing the >collision."

Well, this is a little odd, isn't it? For what reason would you possibly put your van into REVERSE gear after driving around a disabled vehicle? Perhaps if you went around him and cut back over into your lane too soon, you could have sideswiped him. But if your van is damaged in the rear, then you'd literally have had to drive around a stalled vehicle, then stop directly in front of him and BACK into him. No reasonable insurance company or court of law would believe that explanation. I'd expect that his insurance company's "investigation" simply involved asking the other fellow what happened. They have nothing to lose by simply telling you "no" and hoping you go away. It reminds me of UPS's insurance department, whom I have the pleasure of dealing with about once a month. Theu have a team of "adjusters" whose only job it is to tell you that the insured package they damaged was "improperly packed," regardless of how it was packed. From my experience, literally 100% of shippers whose damage claims exceed $100 are given this line, as a matter of course. UPS is simply playing the odds that a certain percentage of people will take "no" for an answer and meekly go away. If you don't go away, then they get on to the business of actually investigating your claim for real.

I'd contact my insurer if I were you, and also ask the other insurance company for a detailed copy of this so-called "investigation." I'm sure you could easily punch holes in a statement as absurd as this guy's claim. If your own insurance agent can't/won't help you, find out what state government agency regulates insurance carriers in Florida and contact them for advice and assistance. Get nasty and be persistant. The odds are that if you scream loud enough, go high enough in the chain of command, and threaten to become a bit of a headache, the insurance company will pay what amounts to a relatively minor claim to make you go away.

Good luck, Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com