Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:36:48 -0500
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unflattering '99 EuroVan review(now my opinion)

As someone potentially in the marked for an EV I have to say I somewhat understand the reviewers' complaints. Mainly, the EV is not even close to being cheap and for the price there should really be no complaints...it should be better than any other van. Better mileage, better handling, more power, more room, better looking etc. After looking at one the only reason I would still consider it is 1.) its a VW (not a very compelling marketing tool to 99% of potential van buyers out there) 2.) Far as I know it's the only factory van with cool setups like the MV or Weekender and I definately would want a fold out bed in my next van (to me that's my vanagon's best asset aside from its minimalism)

Which comes to the second point. Though less so than the old bays, IMHO part of our vanagon's appeal lies its minimalist nature. There is something nice about having a not too luxurious box on wheels with 85 HP and 115K and a bed and realizing you really need nothing more and your going to drive it till it dies cause there's nothing you'd rather be driving. The new Eurovan might be a tad to luxurious for us minimalists. Leave the bed, pull out the cupholders, give me a 5 spd. and diesel, ditch the AC, give me manual windows/doors (never give me a power sliding door...ugh!) and cut the price $10K and I would jump on one. Put the wife and dogs in and break the damn thing in with an adventure drive up to Labrador! Hmmm...any East Coasters out there want to organize a caravan up to Labrador (check the maps, it sure looks like an interesting drive, maybe take the ferry back down via Newfoundland) Mark