Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:45:37 -0500
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Cylinder Head Problem?
Comments: To: Terrence Tickle <tickle@ENG.MC.XEROX.COM>

Terrence Tickle wrote:

> 1983 1.9l waterbox > remanufactured engine from VW 6000 miles ago > > Problem: > When the engine is not fully warmed up and when under load a *HUGE* cloud of whitish smoke is emitted ... along with the engine hesitation. When you let up on the throttle, the smoke subsides. When is motor is fully warmed up, the problem is not noticeable. > The cooling system is NOT being pressurized, but coolant is being "consumed". > > Is this a manifestation of a head gasket problem?

Sure sounds like it, either that or a cracked head

> What will I need to do to fix it?

You could try retorquing the heads, I've heard this occasionally works...unless it is a cracked head. Otherwise its gasket reseal time. Does anyone know the cause of this type of head gasket problem? i.e. pitting causes the standard waterjacket leak, what cause this coolant in the cylinder/compression in the coolant type leak?

> Do you think that I can continue to use it until warmer weather?

I had a leaking head gasket causing similar symptoms and drove about 15K before fixing it with no apparent ill effects.