Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:03:06 -0500
From:         Frank Goodrick <video.image@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: buying out of state/registration & insurance issues

Hi All-

I have a low mileage 91 Westy Camper for sale in Europe. It's Canadian registered.

I've had serious buyers for it, & was about to sell it to one person a month ago. One problem : I've been unable to transfer registration . The purchasers all want to bring the van back after touring Europe for a bit (it meets US & Cdn specs). So they don't want to pay the duties associated with import into Europe.

So I was about to sell it, leaving my plates on it until the new owner imported into the States & then registered it in his name in Texas. He would have an undated bill of sale & power of attorney from me to drive it in Europe on my Ontario registration for his Euro-touring period.

Then I spoke to my lawyer & insurance broker.

I'm on the hook for any legal liability awards if it is still registered in my name . For instance, if the fuel lines caught fire & caused $ 2 million damages in a campground & he carried $1 million liability, I'd be equally liable for the for the remaining 1 million.

So I reluctantly passed on selling, unless I can find a way to transfer registration (looked in a lot of nooks & crannies so far).

Apparently such liability exists even if your vehicle is on consignment on a car lot & something unfortunate happens on a test drive.

Take care out there.

Frank

91 Westy (in Europe) 95 Winnie EVC (in Toronto) 94 Audi Cabriolet

-----Original Message----- From: Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, January 07, 1999 11:32 AM Subject: buying out of state