Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:33:38 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Compression losses

Mark wrote: "One thing often not considered on four stroke engines, the above it the way to figure uncorrected compression ratios. The proper 'corrected' compression ratio would take into consideration how late the valve closes as the piston is rising on compression. The longer duration the cam, the lower the corrected compression ratio."

I must respectfully disagree with this statement. I don't recall in the decades I've read about this any in depth discussion THAT FAILED TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT cylinder filling dynamics, partial contamination between charges, scavenging and many other factors. When I think of measuring these things, I'm reminded of the complexities measuring loudspeaker systems impedance that may have crossovers, electrostatic high frequency units and common dynamic low frequency units enclosed in reactive enclosures which alter low frequency damping factor feedback. The complexities of estimating an engine's true filling compared to the nominal 100% ratio is just as messy and difficult. I recognize that these complexities exist and find them fascinating.

But my intentionally simplified discussion of nominal compression ratio was not intended to address how valve overlap, tuned intake port effects, dirty paper filters vs. K&N foam filters, exhaust system restrictions and resonances, rpm loading dynamics and so much more that most of this Vanagon subscriber base would find uninteresting.

I only wanted to explain how compression leaks may occur to someone unfamiliar with the basics. In that context, using the nominal compression ratio seemed just right to me. For someone trying to learn the basics, a simplified explanation still seems best to me. My omission was elective, intentional, and I still think, appropriate for the purpose.

John