Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Dec 1998 23:02:16 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Warm Up Time

An alternative to a blanket warmer is to keep a battery charger hooked up overnight (or use a timer for an hour or two prior to your morning departure). This has the dual advantage of assuring a fully charged battery and actually (if I remember my high school chemistry correctly) physically warming the battery through the electrical charging activity.

I also recall an old mechanic indicating that simply turning on the headlights for about 30 seconds (prior to attempting to start a cold engine) would create extra heat in the battery that would result in more available cranking power. Just be sure to turn off the headlights prior to engaging the starter. Additionally, does anyone have a source for an engine heater (block or any other type) that will fit on a Syncro? The makeshift unit that was installed on my Syncro 2 winters ago by a well-meaning (but not thorough enough) soul has literally fallen off somewhere. So now I have this securely attached110/120 volt plug wire leading off into the space under the engine, but to no avail....

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 84 GL, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Frozen Waters)

[text/html]