Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:23:55 -0500
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      (long, condescending) Re:      Jump Seats & Seat Belts
Comments: To: arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM

Hi,

The Dealer and Yes. To be more specific, I am extremely anal-retentive when it comes to installing children's car seats. I use those foam/rubber toolbox liners between the childseat and vehicle seat for added friction to prevent sideways tipping. I religiously use the locking clip for extra security whether the seatbelt type requires it or not (VW's do). I also use tether straps, which are relatively unknown in America. I kneel in the carseat to compress the vehicle seat cushion when I position the locking clip on the vehicle seatbelt so that when I get up, the carseat is held down ridiculously tight. It usually takes me 20 minutes to get it right. My 97 Passat came with one tether strap mounting point in the middle, with the screw bosses to add the tether strap hooks to either side, which I immediately purchased from the dealer). My 84 accord had the screw bosses in the frame under the cardboard parcel shelf cover (tether straps are required everywhere except America, it seems), so a simple hole in the cardboard and a hardened bolt was all that I needed. My 84 Oldsmobile has lap only belts in the rear, no provisions for tether straps, and no rear headrests. That is one reason I am selling it and it is replaced with my Vanagon Carat. (Why are we (American auto legislation) always behind the rest of the world in safety? Don't even get me started on mousetrap seatbelts, door mounted seatbelts, and overpowered (200 lb. unbelted male specified) airbags!) Anyway, I fasten the tether straps in the rear of the Vanagon to the headrest shafts. It is not perfect, but better than nothing.

When I bought my Carat, one of the rear-facing seat belt latches was completely destroyed. The button part is suspended on a stiff cable from the seat box, and the whole plastic socket and button part was gone except the cable. It cost $90 at the dealer for a new one, and I had to show the parts guy where on the fiche it was because he kept looking in the Vanagon GL section, where it doesn't exist. One of the rear seat belt latches had a broken plastic case around the button, and it cost I think $26. Yes this was expensive, but my children's (and our carpool friends' children) are worth new replacement parts. Anyway, I do put a carseat on the driver's side rear-facing jumpseat -- but you have use your intelligence. Obviously, a newborn in a rear-facing infant seat needs to be placed in a standard forward facing vehicle seat so that the infant is still rear-facing. The rear-facing infant seats are designed to have the vehicle's seatbelts pull toward the child's feet, so I don't see a way to securely fasten a rear-facing infant seat there. We have a toddler, riding in a hardshell childseat, who occasionally uses the jumpseat in our van. This carseat is held securely by the lap-only belt (make sure the ratchet is engaged with your weight in the seat -- then get up). Most importantly, the child's ears are not over the top of the carseat. You have to make sure that the rear-facing occupant won't get terrible whiplash in a standard forward crash. For the regular forward facing seats, REMEMBER THE LOCKING CLIP! Even our 90 Carat does not have permanently locking reels (which can be engaged by pulling the shoulder out all the way and letting it in slowly) like our 97 Passat and most other new cars do. Even the buckle on the center of the bench seat is "free sliding" enough for me to warrant a locking clip. Unfortunately, from the high vantage point of the van, I can see more murderers driving around with their children standing on the floor with their noses 2 inches away from the highpowered American-Spec airbags! :-(

I can look in my van to get part numbers and take digital pictures for you if that helps.

Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, January 07, 1999 2:20 PM Subject: Jump Seats & Seat Belts