Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:40:00 -0800
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: airbag rant (conclusion)

Thanks to all who responded!!

I did not want to start an airbag war. I was simply expressing my opinions and frustrations. I like technology that is accessible.

I do have all the Bentley manuals for the Passat (2 books each thicker than the Vanagon manual). Note they restructured the books including exploded views of the parts in columns which means that the same drawings are repeated until the text runs out. While I like the exploded views, it is a wasteful way of printing. The electrical diagrams are overhwelming.

I decided to go the safe route and have an appointment in town tomorrow to get my ignition switch changed. Thanks for your suggestions and your concerns about my health.

Airbags contain a capacitor which retains electricity after the battery has been disconnected. That's why fire fighters are instructed to never put any part of their body between the steering wheel and a crash victim. Theoretically you just have to wait long enough and theoretically nothing should happen if you do proper procedures. However, I looked at the warnings in the manual and looked at the drawings of someone testing the car and airbag circuitry with a remote control device and decided to look for other adventures.

Some other time I will give my philosophical view of this. For preparatory reading I recommend "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.

Björn

P.S. In Germany children under 10 are generally not allowed on front seats. When you have passenger airbags children under 11 or under a certain height (consult manual) are not recommended for front seats due to the potential of serious injury. Safe driving (with seatbelts), don't have too many children or drive a Vanagon. :)

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D.

Mill Bay, B.C. Canada ph/fax (250) 743-7575