Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:21:40 -0500
From:         Dave Caston <DavidCaston@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crash Advise (longish)

Hi Tyrone, I preface this with: I am not a lawyer I just play one TV!

Several points are salient here: 1) An accident occuring on public roads almost always requires the filing

of a police report in every state. Not so when on private property such as parking lots. (Caveat Drivers!) Leaveing the scene without one could leave one subject to "leaving the scene of an accident" and maybe even "hit and

run".

2) In almost every case I've ever heard of, the person colliding with another from behind (rear ending) on a public road has been at fault. Even if they were driving around a stalled vehicle. Prudent thought here is that the driver from behind was either not paying attention or following too closely; both are ticketable offenses. From the statement by the insurance of the other party, "Our investigation has revealed that in an attempt to

drive around a stalled vehicle you backed into our insured's vehicle causing the collision." My guess is with the others--he lied to get out of responsibility. The forensic sleuthing will help prove your case. You might find help at the crash investigation unit of your/the local police department. Could'n hurt to check it out. They can just say no.

3) Your Q: What kind of shop do you volks think I should take the Syncro to have it's downunder checked? Or should this be a dealer thing? My A: Any reputable body shop worth their salt can perform a thorough appraisal of dmage and can check the "frame" for damage. Ask around and find out who is considered the best most reputableand go there. Key West is small (Iguess) and this may require some driving though.

4) If you have insured yourself with collision--file it under that and let them subrogate for restitution. Let them work it out with him or his insurance. They have a llllot of laywers I bet! That is also one of the few great things about insurance companies, they do the fightin' for you! If you choose to do this, then make sure you don't let them give you a lowball claim adjustment. Go by the body place _first_ and get them to "school" you a bit on the proper way to restore you vehicle to precrash condition. Play extremely dumb and ask for lots of explanation; Columbo did this really well!

5) You were apparently not in the wrong here. Tactfully turn control around and tell him you will notify him via certified letter /restricted delivery the damages so that he can make restitution. If he balks then,just go around him and file the claim on your collision andgo from there.

6) Be _very_ selective about how much detail you engage the others insurance with. Think about your statements befor ansering any questions from the "if I were trying not to pay this claim how could I interpret this statement to meet that end?" angle. They will look for any slight admission of guilt to deny covering the claim. To this end, try to get your insurance to talk to them after talking with you.

7) If you just changed insurance carriers prior to the accident they will

be glad they took you! ;-) If you changed just after the event, then the prior insurer still has fiscal responsibility. Don't be shy, you contracted for this service and paid for it already. Use it. Business is business.

Dave, Sherrie & an 85 GL Westie named "Vinnie" Hangin' in Allentown, PA