Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jan 1999 21:09:55 -0500
From:         L&A Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stab.-OK to bypass?
Comments: To: V I Urban <VIBU@WEBTV.NET>

Bill, What you are probably experiencing, in this cold weather, is a sticking Idle Stabilizer Valve. It could be frozen moisture or hardened oil/grease/gunk but the result is the same: the valve spring isn't returning the valve to its rest position. When this happened to us, our solution was: to remove the stabilizer; clean it out with throttle body cleaner; blow dry with compressed air; and then spray with light oil. A quick but temporary fix is to remove the inlet hose connection and spray some WD40 into the valve and reconnect the hose. The WD40 is a water dispersant and the WD40 will soften any oil/grease/gunk. Hope this helps, -Larry '86 Syncro Westfalia