Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:04:26 -0700
From:         Kent Christensen <lkchris@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re. List Vendors, Ken Flaming

IMHO this list is over the top as regards commercial advertising.

Having said that, I too appreciate Ron's and Ken's input, but suggest it might best be provided as follows.

1. Responding to technical questions--these guys obviously have above average knowledge of Vanagons and their needs and problems. This will create good will and increase my desire to do business with them.

2. Responding when someone is indicating they're having trouble finding a part and they have it or know who does or know it's, for example, NLA.

3. Occasionally (very) indicating there is something new at their web site. Hey, we all know the URLs for their sites and are perfectly capable of checking them as we wish--we do not need what seem like daily reminders. I have both sites bookmarked because I think they're good.

BTW (and this may be of limited relevance) I also monitor 3 BMW motorcycle lists, and Land Rover, Volvo and Mercedes lists, and NONE of them have anything like Ken and Ron . Yes, I really want to see the occasional "for sale by owner" posts and even the "Sunday's want ads" posts, but I'd rather use my bookmarks to go to commercial sites.

Finally I'd mention that one Land Rover parts source, Rovers North, itself sponsors a bulletin board--they don't do much more than have a link to their catalog there in terms of advertising, but this might be a suggestion for Ron and Ken.