Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 1999 03:07:27 EST
From:         Michael Avrea <Vanadiesel@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hot water system thoughts
Comments: To: nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM, thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM

Hi Nathaniel, I bought a system from R & M Specialty Products that taps into a heater line and heats the water as it passes thru an exchanger. The kit included the exchanger, a good quality pump, lots of lines and fittings etc.. I use it for a shower and sometimes dishes. I suppose you could run it back to the tank or a tank for a more efficient delivery of the hot water. One of the draw backs is that you do loose some water waiting for the temp to stabilize as the water that first goes thru the exchanger is really hot but quickly levels off to a perfect temp. I'm running mine off the stock Westy water tank and have not disturbed the hookups to the sink but have simply tapped another line into the tank running to the supplied pump then snaked the line going off the pump thru the cabinet, into the compartment under the rear seat and thru a hole I cut in the floor to come out right where the heater line is. I mounter the exchanger there and ran the line off it so it comes to an on/off hose fitting right under where the sliding door shuts. When I want to use it I hook up my shower hose to that fitting, open the valve and turn on the pump (I've installed a switch in the face of the rear seat cabinet next to the sliding door). I wait a few seconds for the temp to settle and Heaven....a hot shower! And you can go thru the whole tank without the temp dropping. I got it several years ago and I think it was about $200 dollars. R & M's number at that time was 707 838 3869 and they were in Windsor, California P.O. Box 1683. Hope this helps. Michael Avrea 82 Diesel Westy Ventura, California USA