Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:23:18 -0800
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: Adding gauges to a Vanagon dashboard,
              and which are important?  LONG
Comments: To: Gary Kovach <dearbo@EROLS.COM>

Hi all

I have been following these messages for a while now. You guys have given me a good idea where I can mount some additional gauges. My 91 Transporter only came with a basic dash board, nothing fancy just pure basics.

I wanted some extra storage in my van for the odds and sods that one gathers on a trip; mobile phone, wallet, Aunty Ethel"s house keys etc. Well I found the original glove box just wasn't big enough. Here's what I did.

I got a sheet of three ply and made a box. My box is 600mm long x 250mm wide and is fitted with a hinged lid. Now we all know the slope on our Vans Dashboard so I made the front of my box 150mm deep and tapered it to 80mm at the rear ( windscreen ). The box just about exactly follows the slope of the vanagon dash. After making my box I painted in a matt black to match the color of my dashboard. Now my additional glove box sits on the dash and doesn't sit higher that the instrument pod.

Fixing it to the dash I removed the ash tray ( I don't smoke anyway ) and made a plug of solid wood to fit into the hole reserved for the ash tray. My block of wood was fitted with cleats of wood around it to prevent it going too far into the hole in the dash and hitting on the radio. A few rubber stops screwed to the bottom of the box and you have it a lovely large box for all your goddies. It doesn't move around and sits fairly securely on the dash when driving.

Result I have a perfect receptacle for additional gauges fitted to the dash without the need of drilling holes in the dash metal to feed cables/lines. If I drill a large enough hole in the anchor plug fitted in the ash tray they all wires can be fed through into the box and connected to gauges mounted on the face of the additional glove box. By angling them to the right I have excellent vision of them whilst driving.

I read one response where one of our guys Gary was going to mount and additional instrument cluster on top of his original one. Would not that make it fairly high, it may interfere with vision.

No copy write on the box if you feel like you want one then go ahead and make it. You wont even have to mention my name in the credits.

Ray From, sunny down town Penrith, Just outside Sydney, Australia