Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:59:59 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hot water system thoughts

Since thoughts have turned to hot water systems, I'm going to describe a water heater which I'll be surprised if others have seen. This is a true catalytic water heater fueled by gasoline fumes with an electronic control module, !2 volt resistance preheating like the Platinum Cat, virtually silent operation, and costs about 1.6 cents an hour to run. It won't work on diesel fuel. I'm going all diesel and propane, so here's your chance to own one still new in the box, never installed.

Ok, this water heater depends on the same super clean oxidation process the Platinum Cat space heater uses. That is a heated platinum impregnated catalytic media which facilitates gas oxidation at temperatures well below the flash point of gasoline, paper, cloth or normal Vanagon/Westy materials. The main part is about 14 inches long, but the top 3 inches of that 14 is just the curved gas feed line. So the main body is 11 inches long and 3 1/4 inches in diameter. The outside is a water filled heat exchanger with a bottom and top standard 5/8 inch outside diameter nipple onto which you connect water heater hose. There is also an electronic transistorized control module with a micro pump which they say is factory calibrated to 1 ml of gasoline per minute. Since there are 3785 ml. per gallon, this works out to .38 gallons of gasoline per day. Call it 40 cents per day if you accidentally left it on 100% of the time while dry camping. Since it has a catalytic element, it's just working on fumes like a catalytic hand warmer, with an internal heat around 700 to 800 degrees. There is no flame and it makes no carbon monoxide.

It has a switch panel which could be mounted on the dashboard or the bottom of the top kitchen tray as you may elect. It has an on-off switch and an electric priming button. To start operation, you're supposed to turn the switch on hold, then press the priming button for no more than five seconds. That's all. Much easier than the Dometic refrigerator. Like the Platinum Cat, it uses a 12 volt resistance heater to preheat the catalytic element just long enough to start the catalytic heating process.

I've read that these kinds of units were used in big bucks arctic projects where no electricity grid was available yet starting cold motors was impossible without some preheating. What's the price of a new Webasto water heater? $600 - $800? They make heat much faster but they consume lots of electricity and make blower and burner noise. The electric consumption on these is like the Platinum Cat, which is to say trivial, and they similarly quiet.

I've decided to go with an all diesel and propane system in my camper. Does someone want to make a fair offer to me? Ken Wilford could instantly trade something for it, if he wants. <G> This is a rare high end piece that could be applied to heating interior water just as easily as it was applied to maintaining heat in big bucks on-site construction equipment motors. It's still in the original foam case with the original shipping box. It can be shipped by UPS as it's dry weight is just 9 pounds. It's old stock but brand new. You may respond to me directly. John at LvLearn@mci2000.com

PS. I've scanned a photo from the the unopened shipping box for the new 20" by 60" wheel-less trailer I offered earlier. It's designed to be supported by any 2" square receiver hitch. It's load rated for up to 500 pounds. $80. If you'd like to see the photo Jpeg, let me know at my address above and I'll send a copy to you.