Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 1999 19:35:25 -0800
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hot water system thoughts
Comments: To: Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM>

At 09:34 AM 1/8/99 -0800, Nathaniel Merrill wrote: >Hello all, >I have been contemplating this for a while and thought I would elicit comments from the majority... >I would like to have hot (if not at least warm) water in the westy for these cold seasons. I am aware of the Zodi systems which look nice and functional but they don't energy! Coolant temp is over the boiling point of water so the potential for really hot water after a longish trip is good I think. >Any potential problems with the system? Water pump strain? material incompatibilities? >Etc,etc, Any body already done this? ------------ Yes, someone already has. A gentleman that used to be on this list it's first year developed and made such a system for his bus. His name is Dave Garth and if you happen to search the archives for 'hot water' you'd find his articles. I have included the articles in this mailing that describe his system in his own words. I'm not sure if he is still at the address listed as this was in late 1994 - 1995. I saw his system when I went to the very first CCC's campout at Pfeiffer Big Sur on the California coast. It is an impressive system. you can see some pictures of it at:

http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/garth/index.html

This is David Schwarze's web site who is now only on the Type 2 list. One of the misfortunes of the list split.....

I think this system is what you're looking for.....

Steven Johnson Sacramento sjohnso@jps.net (formerly: sjohnson@calweb.com)

As some of you may remember, recently I added hot water to my Westfalia. That scheme, which involved using a heat exchanger and a pump worked fine, but it did have a few disadvantages. As Derek pointed out, it would be vulnerable to freezing. And I didn't like the fact that the water pump had to run for 20 minutes to heat the water. So I've installed a new system that I think is better, simpler, and more efficient. (As was the case with my first try, this system heats all the water in the tank to shower temperature, so another source of drinking water is necessary.)

I've now run a coolant loop, teed from the rear heater, through 1/4" copper tubing to the water tank. Inside the tank is a 15 foot coil of tubing, coiled small enough to fit through the top opening. The hot coolant heats all 13 gallons in about 20 minutes of freeway driving.

The problem with set ups like this is usually not heating the water, but keeping it from heating the water too much. Here's how I solved that problem:

>From a water bed heater control ($10 new) I removed the thermosat. I adjusted it so it could be set at 105 degrees. From the W.W. Grainger, Inc. industrial catalog(800-225-5994) I ordered a high temperature selenoid valve (1a582) and 24 volt AC selenoid. ($90. From past experience I knew that 24 volt AC selenoids work great on 12-14V DC).

It works like this. When the engine is running, 12 volts from the refrigerator relay goes through the "water heater" switch, then through the thermostat. If the water is less than 103 degrees, the 12 volts goes to the selenoid valve, which opens, letting hot coolant flow though the tank loop and heating it. As soon as the water temp reaches 105, the valve closes, until the water temp drops below 103.

I tested various materials in the oven at 250 degrees to see if the hot coolant line would cause problems. Neither rubber nor polyethylene seems to be phased by it. So I used rubber grommets through the tank top for the coolant loop tubing. The fail safe nature of the system is a plus. If the selenoid valve fails, it will be closed.

Hot water and a pump powered hand shower really make the van more usuable for us.

As before, I'd be glad to help anyone who wants to do this...either e-mail or phone (805-543-2046 pacific daylight time) is fine.

Dave Garth San Luis Obispo, CA '86 Westfalia