Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:26:25 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YAUMAN@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Fiat Lux* - Xmas wish follow up

Hello, Vanagonian, Vangoneers, Vanagonauts, Vanagods et el, FYI

Those of you on the temp list may remember that all I wanted for Xmas was brighter headlights for my belove/maligned Vanagon. Well, I have done all the cleaning of the headlight lens and the cleaning of the contacts and increased the thickness of the ground wire per recommendation from everyone on this list. But, the headlight (low beam is still a little dim for my taste. So, in doing some research and from your comments, I summarize the following options for those with the 86 and new Vanagons with the rectangular headlights:

1. Replace the headlight with the SA rounds put in couple of 7" e-code lamps. For about $200 from Ken and other vendors here on the list - the price is right. However, I like rectangular. I think the rounds looks a little too ¡80ish. For purely aesthetic reason, I think the rectangular goes well with the squarish frontal profile of my 87 Vanagon.

2. Replace the stock headlights with a set of DE Projectors from http://www.fastgermanauto.com. Looks almost stock but with European e-code low and high beam. The problem is the price. About $600.00 for the lights and grill. A lot more than I want to spend and I don¢t need the hi-beam. Current stock hi-beam is perfectly good.

3. Replace low beam bulb with higher wattage type. Well, I hear all your comments and cautions and read http://lighting.mbz.org cautions as to why it is a bad idea. And I agree. The electrical in this thing is finicky enough..no reasons to push it some more!!!

4. So, it down to this one: http://sportscar-parts.com/bulbs.html. They purport to sell an PIAA 9004 bulb which directly replaces the 9004 stock hi/lo bulb but will product a brighter light and draw less current. Stk Number: PIAA19604SWbulb Is it possible? Well, scientifically yes. Currently, halogen light bulb produce about 16 Lumens/Watt whereas any flourescent tube can do 35 Lumens/Watt. So, did PIAA come up with a better halegon giving more lumens per watt? The cost is $89.95 for a set of 2-bulbs. So, I ordered it ( seems like I got the last set.. Their web site says they are out of stock on the 9004 for a while!) And this is my observation:

Current Drawn: Stock: 3 Amps. PIAA ExtraWhite: 2.83Amps

So, it is lower current - well enough to not get sue for false advertisement<g>. But is it brighter. Well, hell, after spending $89.95 for light bulbs, you bet the placebo effect kicks in!!! I will see it brighter whether it is or not! I could not get hold of a good lux meter from the labs here to do some scientific measurement.. So I resorted to some crude seat-of-the-pants comparison. I changed the driver side and left the passenger side stock. Drove around for a couple of nights then switch it around... And indeed the PIAA bulb side is perceptibly brighter.. Enough to be noticeable but not too much to be obnoxious..ie no oncoming traffic flashed or cursed me (yet!)

So, now I have 2 PIAA extrawhite 9004 bulbs in my hi/lo beam circuit. I have not gone to Tahoe skiing with it yet..I¢ll really know then if it makes any different negotiating the winding US-50 hi-way with better lights.

Is it worth $89.95 plus shipping? Well.. I don't know.. I think when the newnest wears off and they are selling them for $29.95, I would recommend you all run out and buy a set!

*Fiat Lux - Let There Be Light (motto of UC Berkeley)

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL