Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:53:39 -0700
From:         BILL <billv2@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      won't start-follow-up
Comments: To: aufever@hotmail.com, jim96003@c-zone.net, shea@gtsgesign.com

I decided to give it another try today on FreeBird. After retracing and rechecking everything I gave it another try. Managed to get the wife to turn the key while I adjusted the timing. FreeBird still did not want to start. I re-rechecked the plug wires and found them to be "out of order". I reconnected the wires up the right way and then, to my shock, FreeBird started up!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooo!

I had to replace the following after the fire.

1-fuel lines--not finished yet, but most are done 2-cold start valve-melted 3-ignition wiring harness-melted 4-FI wiring harness-melted 5-most vacuum lines-melted-some with big holes 6-timing scale and grille-melted 7-belt-melted 8-oil pressure switch-toast 9-distributor and hall sender-toast 10-thermo time switch-connector melted 11-engine cover insulation-burnt up-ashes 12-there were more but the list is getting too long. :-)

All these items were melted or destroyed because of the fire. THIS FIRE HAPPENED BECAUSE OF THE FUEL LINES!!!!! Is it time to replace yours??????????????

After starting I noticed a very loud tapping around #3 & #4 cylinders. I let the engine warm up, but the tapping remained very loud. Is this caused from sitting since June, 98?? This did not do this prior to the fire. Is there more damage? There is only 64,000 original miles on it.

Special Thanks to: Karl von Salzen, Jim Thompson, and Gary Shea. Because of them I was able to obtain and get running this old 82 CA Westy which I can't wait to get on the road. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Bill '85 GL [*Magic*Bus*] '82 Westy [FreeBird] ...cause I'm as free as a bird now... Big Sky Country ---Ronnie Van Zant <>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~