Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:27:32 -0800
From:         Jim Thompson <jim96003@C-ZONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: JUST TINKERING WITH MY '84 GL WHEN......
Comments: To: George Hahn <geohahn@AZSTARNET.COM>, mikedhuy@VVM.COM

>mike wrote: > >> 2. I HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL AT ADJUSTING MY IDLE. KEEPS GOING UP AND >> DOWN, AND UP AND DOWN. REALIZED THAT I AM MISSING THE TOP SPRING ON >> THE THROTTLE MECHANISM. (BENTLEY, PG 24.30, FIG 24-123. THE TOP ONE >> GOING OFF TO THE LEFT) WHAT IS THIS SPRING CALLED, WHERE DOES IT >> ATTACH ON THE OTHER END, AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE? >> ************************ George Hahn also wrote > >I think see the part you mean in the Bentley manual (appears also on >pages 24.33, fig 24-122 and 24.34, fig 24-127) as a rod or wire >disappearing out the left side of the photos. If that's the one you >mean... I don't have one either! Makes me wonder what I'm missing. > >To me it looks more like a rod than a spring wire... does someone out >there have an 84 with this item in place and can you report where it >goes? Or perchance is the photo in question actually from an air-cooled >engine? ********************************************** Been there, done that (too many times), got the T-Shirt.........

both of you (as well myself) are not missing a thing.

George is correct when pointing out that that the photos on both pages is actually from a Federal Air Cooled 80-83 Vanagon. That is the EGR Valve Rod in the picture - see Page 26.5, Photos 24-040 & 24-029 for verification on this. That rod activates the mechanical EGR valve on these models. Wasserboxers do not have an EGR valve, but use an *almost* identical Throttle Body Assembly. So much for accuracy and/or consistency of the Bentley.

Now to solve the problem of the "hunting idle":

Reference Page 24.33 - Check the idle/deceleration switch as shown in Photo 24-122. Use an Ohmmeter to determine if the applicable microswitch is working. If the microswitch is OK, check to see if it's adjusted properly. The appropriate cam on the Throttle Valve shaft should contact and turn the microswitch on when the Throttle Shaftis closed (Idle). If this also checks OK, then it could be one or both of two other causes - Idle Stabilizer Box on the left firewall is bad/missing or the wire/connections running from the microswitch to the ISB/ECU are in question.

Check the continuity of the harness connections between the microswitch, ISB and of course the ECU. These 3 items all work "in concert" for the system to operate correctly. If all connections check out OK, time to blame the ISB.

(WHAT - No ISB on the left firewall???? - Just the wires connected to each other with [and a lot of times without - just butt connectors] the round plugs???? - You wouldn't believe the number of phone calls I've taken from owners missing these plugs and/or the ISB, all because the so-called mechanic or dreaded PO had removed it because they didn't consider it "essential" or too troublesome!)

This was the case with my ex80 Cal Vanagon, just some wires butt connected together and it was "hunting" all the time at idle. Can't buy the Round Connectors separately, only available on with the harness (expensive!), so I was able to obtain them from a boneyard off of an already chopped up harness and install the ISB (expensive from VW, not so expensive from myself or Ron,) and voila - the idle settled right down.

On my 84 Westy, when I did my 1.9 to 2.1 engine swap, I replaced the ISB as a matter of convenience, just to be sure everything was nice and new - I have the original stashed in my spare parts box in the Westy. It must be noted that there are TWO different Idle Stabilizers:

251-906-083 Vanagon Air Cooled California 80-83 Vanagon Wasser California 83.5-85 Vanagon Wasser Federal 83.5-85.5 To VIN 25-E-200 000 (Originally Green, Now Grey colored)

321-906-083 Vanagon Wasser Federal Late 85 Fr VIN 25-E-200 001 (Black)

Lastly, remember that when timing your Digijet 83.5-85 (as well as the Cal 80-83 Air Cooled), the ISB is supposed to be disconnected, the round plugs connected together. For the Digijet, see both Pages 24.29 & 24.30 as well as 28.33 & 28.34 for details on this. For the 80-83 Cal Air Cooled, see Page 28.11. Reconnect the plugs to the ISB when your timing is set.

Hope this helps.

Jim/The Old Volks Home (530) 221-5342 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Sedan * 90 Fox Wagon **************************************** Due to a server change the Old Volks Home Website will be down from Dec 31 98 thru about Jan 15 99. In addition, e-mail to jim@oldvolkshome.com will be interrupted during this period as well.

please reply to jim96003@c-zone.net during this period of interruption.