Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 1999 21:46:50 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YAUMAN@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: square headlight upgrade kit
Comments: To: wdavidson@JPS.NET

>>> Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET> 01/10 7:32 PM >>> Helmut, I'm really not quite sure what you are trying to say. It seems that there is a small translation problem for me. In any case, our idea is that we are NOT happy with the standard square H4's. That's why I referred to this as an upgrade: because Randy's solution is supposed to be better than the standard square H4's that came with our late model vanagons. >>

Wait..now I am really confused!

I thought that the current stock rectangular headlights are NOT H4's. If it were, we would be better off. The only bullb that can go into the hi/low beam unit is the 9004 which is inadequate. To be able to use H4' bulbs, we would have to change to round eyes. A lamp that use H4's will have a lot more choices for wattages and the orientation of the filament is more optically efficient. If we want to keep the rectangular look, we would have to change to the European type of rectangulars and that I think is what Helmut has listed. My understanding is that there are some modes that need to take place in the frame and grill before we bolt four H4 compatible 5x7 rect. as replacement.

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL and confused about headlights again!