Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:13:26 EST
From:         Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine cutting out
Comments: To: baddawg@midohio.net, Jbmorris@RA.ROCKWELL.COM

Hi Guys, I don't know what's normal with my Westy. I only had it less than a year and it's been a learning experiance and lots of repairs to bring it up to snuff. My problem did start when it was cold in the teens, not to mention the chill factor. I can't seem to get the temp up when it's freezing, especially when driving. The chill factor brings the temp way down. I can't even get warm air out of the heaters when that happens. I suspect it could be a faulty thermostat? I should also try a piece of cardboard in front of the grill. I did put two bottles of dry gas in the tank. I don't know if it helped, because I'm now driving the jeep around. I do still drive the Westy around too, but I don't trust the problem is fixed by just the dry gas. Don't want to break down in the cold. I want to love my Westy but it's being to tricky for me. I ask, how could it let me down after all that love and attention. I guess I'll try some of the tips the list gave out. Just have to figure which to do first. Dan 87 Syncro GL Westy 71 Bug Conv.

<<Hello Daniel and James,

This is kind of bizarre, because I am having the same problems you guys are with my '87 Syncro. I was leaving a restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and my bus seemed to lose power and didn't want to run going up an onramp to the expressway. I shut the bus off, then restarted and the engine revved fine. I pulled out only to experience the problem again when a load was put on the engine. I went through this cycle four or five times, then she ran fine and took me home.

The next morning on my way to work, the problem began again. I had to turn back and drive my old GTI. The day this problem first happened the van ran fine to work, and then to the restaurant. It was our first really cold night, and I suspect that I have water in my fuel system that is freezing. I had some problems with bad gas this summer, but never got around to changing my fuel filter after some dry gas cured it. Our temperatures in Ohio have been below freezing since this started happening, so I haven't been able to see if a warm day cures the problem.

I hope to replace my fuel filter tomorrow and add some drygas, since we have a heat wave coming through (high of 22 degrees). This whole deal has really sucked because I haven't been able to take the Syncro out to play in all this snow we've been enjoying.

I would appreciate it if you guys would share any insights you might have. I will let you know what I find tomorrow if you are interested. Kinda strange we all have 87 Syncros and are experiencing the same problem.

James, how cold was it when you first experienced the problem? Does it get cold enough to freeze in Texas?

What about you Daniel, was the temperature below freezing when you began experiencing problems?

Thanks for your help,

Brett Fairbanks, Delaware, Ohio '87 Vanagon GL Syncro '83 GTI '72 VW Sportsmobile Camper Bus>>