Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:04:29 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Gas Tanks, fuel hose clamping

Chris writes: <<<<<< Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:02:58 EST From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: same gas tank '80-'91???

are all the gas tanks '80-'91 interchangeable? (can i put a '80 gas tank in a '91, or visa versa, or whatever)

chris <<<<<

The gas tanks are interchangeable but you may need to also change the filler neck. There was a smaller and a larger diameter one, I know that there are two sizes of filler neck to gas tank gaskets. I'm not completely sure that the actual hole in the tank isn't the same though. Also, there is a difference between the early tanks and the later tanks on the outlet tube. The early tanks have a small diameter tube that matches up with the small diameter of the inlet of the plastic square low pressure fuel filter. The later tanks, and the tank that VW now sells as "universal", comes with the larger diameter outlet tube that matches up with the larger diameter of the inlet to the fuel pump, also matches the diameter of the outlet of the square fuel filter. If you use the later tank on an early Van you will need to fabricate a reducer fitting ( I turned one on my lathe for my '84) or you will need to convert to the later arrangement where you have the fuel going directly to the pump with the high pressure fuel filter (metal can type) downstream of the fuel pump.

The current fuel tank that VW sells (very expensive, and do I feel stupid now that I know the Bus Depot sells one at 25% of VW's price!) has plastic tubes and plastic screens internally where the old tanks were all metal inside. Maybe Ron could comment about the internal parts of the aftermarket tank he sells. I think the metal tubes and screens are a better idea for the long haul.

BTW, to another poster concerning how to clamp fuel lines, I use a little pair of locking pliers (vise grip type) with a couple of 1 inch long lengths of rubber hose slipped over the jaws to preclude cutting the rubber line being clamped. Works very well, causes little trauma to the fuel line.

Regards,

Carl Turner