Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:25:02 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adding gauges to a Vanagon dashboard/ Checkout Mitsubishis
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <transporter99@HOTMAIL.COM>

Mark & Listees

This discussion on additional gauges is a pretty good thread. Mark or Ken, Your gauges and housing sounds great. Could you please post a picture if you can.

I actually was contemplating doing the very same thing and went as far as contacting VDO to find out if they have any special housing. They sent me a catalog with lots of gauges etc. The single, two and three gauge housing is all they sell for housing.

My original concept was to find a Mistubishi Montero in a junk yard and take the dashboard guages from that replacing theirs with the VDO gauges/senders. Mistu does a real nice clean job with the leather covered dash gauges. For the leather off-roaders out there! They mount the optional unit about where our ash tray sits so it could be done without additional holes.

Mitsubishi has 3 gauges which includes an airplane-type directional level compass guage for all of us SyncroHeads that may be inclined to get lost in the sticks.

Another great gauge that I loved, is knowing what the road/outside temperature is. It use to be a standard VDO gauge on the SAAB Turbos (along with the Turbo boost). My Subaru has this guage and I constantly check to see how cold/hot it really is outside.

Of course we no longer need the cylinder head temperature gauge which was valuable in the old Air cooled engines.

Sounds like I need 6 gauges on my dash ;-)

E-Cheers to all of us trusting little red idiot lights.

Joel Cort 89 Syncro GL Westy performing quite well in cold Rochester

---Mark McCulley <transporter99@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > I installed 3 gauges (oil pressure, oil temp, voltage) in a VDO housing > atop the instrument cluster. The housing is the one described by Ken > Wilfy--it fully encloses the gauges hiding the wires for a nice clean > appearance. My only complaint is that the lighted gauges reflect in the > windshield at night. I plan to fashion some kind of shade to fix this > problem but haven't gotten around to it yet. > > Mark McCulley > > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com >