Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:14:24 -0700
Comments:     ( Received on motgate2.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com,
              sender rlpa80@email.sps.mot.com )
From:         John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: COLD fresh air leaking
Comments: cc: jjvantol@USWEST.NET

> From: Joshua Van Tol <jjvantol@USWEST.NET>

--- snip > The sealing foam falls off the control doors. On my '85, the foam has > fallen off of 3 of the 4 flaps in the enclosure. I tried replacing it with > the closed cell that's used to line tool boxes, but it's too stiff, and > doesn't seal well. The only way to get a replacement from VW is to buy the > whole flaps at ~ $90 each. > > If any list members or vendors know of a good substitute, or, better yet, > have some to sell, I'd be very interested!

I have had success with opencell foam that I purchased a a FLMHS (Friendly Local Mega Hardware Store). It was sold in the airconditioning/venilation section. The vehicle I installed it on was not a Vanagon, but rather a Jeep Wagoneer, but the procedure should be similar once you disassemble things down to the flap itself.

1. Remove all of the old foam and adhesive. Rust removal as necessary. Prime and paint if desired.

2. Cut out a piece of foam the exact size you need to cover the flap.

3. Put a thin layer of contact cement on the metal flap and wait until it is tacky.

4. Gently (very gently) lay the foam into position. Do not press down on it with your fingers. If you do the foam will not rebound because it will be stuck to the adhesive. If you need to press down use a large piece of thick cardboard. Press lightly.

5. If you mess up. Start over at 1. above ;)