Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:27:08 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Yes!5 Cyl into 87 Syncro Camper

I have a 87 Syncro that I am having a 5 cylinder installed in. I test drove a vanagon with the Audi 5 cylinder a few days ago and it was fantastic. It had plenty of power and drove uphill at 80+ mph without even being floored. The power band was very broad and I could shift into 4th at 30 mph and it would pull smoothly up to 85. The vanagon was an 84 with an 85 mph speedo and no tach, so my info is limited to indicated speed. The owner claimed that it got 20+ mpg even while people test drove it for power. I was so impressed with driving it that I have decided to get one for myself. This one was a 2.1 liter which has the lowest HP of all the gas 5 cylinder Audi/VW engines. The engine lid was NOT raised on the one I drove and the same should be true of the Syncro version. I expect mine to be finished in early February and I will let everyone know how it turns out. Ken Wilfey of Van-Again is planning on marketing these kits and if the Syncro version works as well as the 2 wheel drive seems to he should sell a lot of them. As people are discussing, this conversion is not cheap. I have agonized over the expense and I am hoping that the kit can be done more cheaply somehow so more people can afford it. The kit has more parts to it than you might think and you need a donor car also. In addition to the 2.1 there is a 2.2 and a 2.3 to choose from. The 2.2 has 10 more HP than the 2.1 and the 2.3 has 30 HP more. The 2.3 requires premium gas so I am going with the 2.2 although the 2.3 is the same price and easier to find. I am still wavering on whether to go for the 2.3 as the extra HP is tempting. After driving the 2.1 and feeling the power, a 2.3 must be a rocket ship. I am the first Syncro owner to sign up and the installation is being done by the developer of the kit. He expects to retain the skid plate and says that the engine lid should clear easily with no loss of ground clearance. I spent 4 hours at his shop on Sat. and I am very impressed with him and his associates. This was my second visit as I was there for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. This kit also works with Auto trannys, power steering, and A/C. A turbo kit is planned some day but I don't see a realistic need for it. I will answer whatever questions I can, so ask away.

Mark Drillock