Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:46:23 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yes!5 Cyl into 87 Syncro Camper

Mark Drillock talked about how pleasant it was to drive the 5 cylinder Vanagon test vehicle, which is our Americanized version of the 1999 specification South African rear wheel drive VW van. "I test drove a vanagon with the Audi 5 cylinder a few days ago and it was fantastic. It had plenty of power and . . . ."

I speculate that the fatter lower end torque curve was even more important in causing the huge subjective improvement in how it seemed to drive compared to the stock VoA 4 cylinder versions, than the peak horsepower difference.

I further speculate that even a 4 cylinder 90 hp. direct injection TDI motor in a Vanagon would give about the same robust impression because of its huge improvement in usable low end torque compared to the power plants we have been forced to endure.

Allow me to suggest another alternative path that hasn't been discussed in this forum. That is installing one of the 1983 Audi 5 cylinder turbo diesels and adding an inner cooler to it. The first thing to remember is that this is an early bullet proof non-electronic controlled motor, so it will smoke 5/4ths as much as a 1.6 TD, which isn't much in most, but not all conditions. As one person put it, the total electronics to keep it running is one wire ~ to the fuel shut-off switch!

Audi and VW diesels are essentially the same motors. Same bore, same stroke, interchangeable parts but the Audi is 5/4 or 125% larger due to the extra cylinder. Here are well known options. Atmo 4 cylinder = 52 hp. Atmo 5 cylinder = 65 hp. Turbo 4 cylinder = 68 hp. Turbo 5 cylinder = 84 hp. Turbo innercooled 4 cylinder = 90 hp. Turbo innercooled 5 cylinder = 111 hp.

These motors DO NOT have the amazingly strong bottom end torque that these latest direct injection TDI diesels have, some of which are more like a small block Chevy V-8 with 285 newton-meters of torque down at 1900 rpm from a little 4 cylinder motor. But these old indirect injection diesel motors reach their horsepower peak at about 80% of the rpms where your waterboxers reach theirs. So they could benefit by taller effective gearing, whether you do it by tires or trans. The least cost for acquiring one of these would probably be in the $200 to $500 range. Your ability to wear one out in your lifetime is questionable. It would be a joke to try to compare the reliability of these motors to the waterboxer hobby motor.

I hope some find this information about these additional options interesting. John