Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:32:24 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      How buying "totaled" vehicles at true wholesale is possible.

Jason mentioned, "From what I have read is that when dealing with the insurance company you can bargain to buy back the vehicle after it has been totaled and your claim is settled. Most wrecks are sent to auctions and sold to parts yards anyway."

Years ago I learned about a car I desired that had just been "totaled" and was still in the impound area of the towing service. I asked to look at it and was told that I couldn't and that it would be sold to the salvage yard. The salvage yard operation was as much of a disinterested third party to this operation as your left hand is to your right hand. So I used my binoculars and wrote down the license plate of the vehicle. I went to a friend who was a policeman and asked him to find out the owner's name, which he did for me. I contacted them and learned what they had been offered for the "totaled" car, and offered them an additional $50.00 for it, which they promptly accepted.

Well, when I showed up to get my new purchase, you wouldn't believe how the "sxxx hit the fan." These guys were used to scamming all their customers that way with phony low prices and they didn't like it one little bit that this one slipped through their hands. I saved maybe $2000 on the deal compared to buying it in the same condition 48 hours later from the salvage yard as a "builder." I was told to never step on their property again by guys who weighed more than twice what I did, and I wasn't very happy about it. So the next time I did it, which I did about a year later, I brought a bunch of guys from one of my businesses who were primed and ready for the situation. These customers happened to be on the University football team and thought going along would be fun, especially after I told them it was worth a keg of beer to me. There was no incident and no intimidation that time.

It gets my blood boiling now just thinking about it. Anyway, if you see any of you learn about a totaled TDI diesel, I'd pay a finders fee if it enables me to buy the vehicle before the low ball salvage yard price is accepted by a 'totaled" vehicle's owner.

You have as much right to buy a totaled vehicle from an insured owner as does any salvage yard operation. They will try like hell to block you from learning how to get the same deal they get daily. Don't expect any cooperation, especially where there are kickbacks to keep the system lubricated. I've been told that in some large towns, you don't want to do it too often if you don't want to go to church in a box. John