Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:43:26 -0500
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: camper tops

Dear Ron,

Take it from me, just because a "miniscule" number of people complain about something doesn't mean that far more people out there actually have the problem! Perhaps they don't care, don't drive more than 60mph, or are willing to put up with it without complaining.

For example, if a TV network receives 1/10 of 1% of all their viewers complaining about a show or advertisement they take it VERY seriously. What marketing people know is that only a few people will actually take the time to complain -- most people just shrug their shoulders, even though if you were to ask them they would say they were unhappy about the situation at hand.

Same thing should apply here I suspect. In other words, if I were you, I would be concerned that 1/2 of 1% of my customers are taking the time to tell me that something is wrong with this seal!!!

I for one never bothered calling you for the very reasons you mentioned -- there probably is nothing to be done other that "fine tune" the installation or revert back to VW's solution for big bucks. Guess its time to pull out the "fine tuning dust"...

Not meant to be a critism, rather, more of a "heads up".

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

MJS

At 10:39 AM 1/11/99 -0500, The Bus Depot wrote:

>For the most part, this seal seems to work very well, and eliminates any

>risk of water drainage problems. However, to date I have had less than a

>dozen complaints of wind noise using this version. (By comparison I sell

>almost this many luggage rack seals each and every week, so this many

>complaints in total is a miniscule percentage of people who are using this

>seal.) Apparantly this occurs because that particular luggage rack is not

>sitting as snugly against the roof as it could, and the little "tail" on the

>factory seal was helping to compensate for this. I am convinced that this is

>due to the luggage rack slightly loosening or lifting over time, as if it

>were supposed to be that way, 100% of the seals would be causing a slight

>wind noise, not less than 1/2 of 1 percent.

<bold>

Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

phone: 781.359.7624

work: http://www.openmarket.com