Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:50:12 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      5cyl conversion vs 4cyl conversions???
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

It is quite internesting to note that few people want to spend $2700 on the Audi kit. This seems a little steep to me too, but, I think Ken is including EVERYTHING but the engine (am I right Ken?). The Audi 5 cylinder is a very nice engine especially if someone goes for the 2.3L or the 2.2L Turbo. My next project is a 2.2L Turbo Westie with mods from Intended Acceleration to bring it to 230hp (avec flames from the exhaust!). The 2.3L I5 starts at 130hp where the 2.0L I4 maxes out at 130hp with the right cam and exhaust. I think the I5 is the better engine for the Vanagon.

With the above being said - Here is my shameless sales pitch! I am about to start producing my inline four kit for those who are on a budget. I expect it will be publicly available by the end of spring. Here is the pricing that I have arrived at although everything is still a good estimate at this point:

2.0L Price List in Canadian Dollars ( ***Estimated Pricing Only*** ) · Fast Forward Engine Mounts and Engine Cross Member $500 · Transmission adapter and flywheel $700 · Audi 3A 115hp 2.0L engine (10:1 cr) with exhaust manifold and downpipe $1000 · Bosch CIS with knock sensor electronics $500 · Bosch CIS fuel injection components $400 · Coolant hoses, brackets and throttle cable $200 Total Price $3300 Canadian

So this $3300 Canadian price is about $2200 US and this includes the engine. If you can source the engine locally then subtract the appropriate amount. 1.8L engines can be used in place of the 2.0L and these are a dime a dozen at the wrecking yards. Anything smaller than 1.8L should be considered too small. I might even be able to shave some of the price down as I have a line on some NEW European CIS fuel enjection systems that are still in the box (Airflow sensor, fuel injectors, fuel distributor, ignition distributor etc...) Yes, this does NOT include a new engine or fuel injection like Eurospec but I can source these if someone wants one (also doesn't cost as much as Eurospec). The only stuff you have to do is come up with an exhaust ($100 at the local muffler shop), Installation (back yard guy can do it in a weekend) and the necessary mods to the deck lid. The deck lid raises (pardon the pun!) a good question for me. The Audi I5 and the VW I4 are the same physical height so how can the I5 fit under the deck with NO mods? I am assuming that they are lowering the engine 2" so it will not hit. This DOES look like it is possible with my kit but you will just loose ground clearance. For Syncronaughts like me this is a problem, but for the average driver this won't be an issue.

So, as always, if anyone has any questions please be sure to email me at david@volkswagen.org or at sales@fastforward.ca

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca

At 04:19 12/01/1999 EST, JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: >im just curious as to how much interest there actually is in the audi 5cyl >swap into the vanagon. Ken Wilford has offered a kit upwards in the amount of >$2700 (ouch) or thereabouts for a kit that is being prepared in CA by "mister >"D" ;<) >how many of you listmembers can actually afford this kit? plus the >installation fee? the $2700 didnt include the engine.. >BTW i posted a '86 up intercooled turbo 5cyl engine and had absolutely no >response on it.. the '86 up 5cyl turbo engine is the most ideal engine for the >conversion...(NO ITS NOT A DIESEL - the 5cyl diesel was given the boot from >the US market in '83) >so , people...as Ken would say..."what's the skinny" on this???? is there >interest, but the conversion is just way out of financial reach for 99% of >us?? > >chris >(who looks like he will just slap on another set of head gaskets till he wins >the lottery ;<)

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Administrator -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Classic H2O VW Parts http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --