Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:13:18 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch bleeding/ARCHIVES!??

"I'm unfamiliar with bleeding the clutch line, I thought i was going to be able to manage but...guess what. How do i go about bleeding the system, are there any tricks. I do have a second person, whom i know I'll need, any hints/tips/tricks will be much appreciated thanks jon"

An old trick is to use piece of clear aquarium line and push that onto the bleeder output. If it's inflexible, heat it with a flame to soften it. Run the other end into the very bottom of a good sized clear cup. I've taped it into the cup so it stays there long enough to compete this bleeding. Open the bleeder valve just enough so that the high pressure of compressing the clutch will blow out fluid, but the low pressure or resetting the master cylinder to the top of its stroke won't pull as much back in through the bleeder valve. Pump and fill at the master cylinder until the clear line shows no bubbles and appears to show only clean fluid. Then, without removing the clear line, close the bleeder valve. You're done. You can also buy a kit for $20 to do this instead of using $.25 worth of aquarium line if that makes you feel like a hero.

Brake fluid has a high affinity for moisture which it can absorb from the air. Those rubber gaskets isolating your fluid from air contact are important. Maintain their seal. It is suggested that you replace this fluid occasionally anyway, so I do NOT suggest that you recycle the captured fluid from your bottom cup. Consider it a flush. The expense is well justified.

This same procedure can be applied to brakes, but always start at the most remote slave cylinder and progress closer to the master. John