Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:22:38 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: clutch bleeding/ARCHIVES!??

I replaced my slave cyl in early December, about 1.3 years after i did the master cyl!

I found one of the 13mm bolts to be a royal pain, i made sure that i cleaned both of them well so that the nuts would spin on in the re-install. I had everything ready under the van, and switched the hydraulic line quickly. My mechanic had suggested that if i had problems bleeding the system (I have a pressure bleeder), try forcing the fluid backwards, back up to the resevoir. But as it turned out I didn't have to do either. While I was under the van, I noticed a poor electrical connection on my engine and while I was resoldering that, I left the bleed nipple open on the slave cyl (and connected tubing from the nipple to a plastic bottle) and let the system gravity bleed. It took me about 15 minutes to do the electrical repair, and that seemed to be enough time for the hydraulics to be bled.

Alistair