Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:25:21 +0100
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: how much interest IS there in the 5cyl conversion???

Detlev and some others wrote:

>I read your E-Mail letter and you are right US $ 7200 >a lot of money. >But ------ our kit starts with US$2700 and a good used >donor car for approx. US$ 500,what means some expenses >from US $3200.And as you know this Audi engine will not die. >Than when you hire a good mechanic he will be able to put the kit >with the engine in your Vanagon in ten hour .We charge flat US $ 1000. There is always the statement, that the Audi 5 cylinder will never die. I will give you some experiences I had with my engine up to now:

I got the engine (WC code, no turbo, no cat, CIS, built in '82) with 200.000 km on the clock, very much, I agree.

1) I got wrong air into the intake system, turns out, sealings of the injectors were dried out and had to be replaced.

2) Blue smoke while slowing down on the engine, turns out, weared piston rings, 300 USD parts replacement. I changed connection rod bearings at piston and crankshaft side, too, was one job.

3) At present I get oil spots at the rear hatch again. Found a leaking seal at the crankshaft bearing, pulley side. I will change it when the weather gets warmer.

4) I still have problems with the fuel pressure at low levels in fuel tank and high engine revolutions. This is because of my gasoline tank designed for carburated boxers, the fuel outlet is too narrow. I will add a second fuel line from the return side. I recommend, not to use the Vanagon fuel pump (3.8 bar). The pressure on the Audi pump is higher, 6.5 bar. But engine will work with the Vangon's pump, too, as I heard.

5) On hot weather I got fuel bubbles in the injector lines at the first weeks after the swap. I hadn't this problem last year, we had a cold summer in Germany. Before summer I will add a fan to cool down the injector lines, if needed.

So far, I'm still happy with the engine.

Helmut '80 Vanagaudi