Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:13:05 -0000
From:         Malcolm White <Malcolm.White@SIEMENS.CO.UK>
Subject:      ~Flaming DIEsels~ Re: how much interest IS there in the 5cyl

>also like to add that the '81-'83 5000TD is NOT intercooled like the '86 up >turbos are. >turbocharger life is cut in half, when not intercooled.

Explain why? The intercooler in a turbo installation cools the air charge from the turbo to the intake. The turbo does not run at a different temperature. Cooling the air charge increases the air density and therefore increases the power and the whole purpose of the IC is to provide the maximum temperature drop without reducing the flow. It is for this reason that some people (me included) use a water-cooled chargecooler (not stock!) to keep the charge temperature right down. On my S4, the turbo is also water-cooled and doesn't require the warm-up, cool-down cycle that regular turbos need to remain reliable. Are you confusing this with intercooling as watercooling the turbo increases its life?

Back onto the subject line, I would change my 1.9 waterboxer if I could get the 5-cyl parts in the UK and find a knowledgable garage to do the work. I have been offered a complete Audi turbo car for 450UKP (about $600) with good engine as a donor and then I know that I have all the bits I need (including the Audi leather interior).

Malcolm.