Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:12:24 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <dhaslup@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Someone's Knocking in the back???
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

I recently started noticing a knocking sound in the rear, possibly left rear of my '80 VanagonL. It seems to increase with RPM and stop when I push the clutch in until I engage the next gear. It seems to stop after I've driven for a while. Also, I hear a knocking/creaking when I turn on a hill sometimes.

The noise seems to go away after I've driven for a while and things warm up.

I can't really see anything obvious. I did manage to bang the rear of the sliding door and front of the rear quarter a couple weeks back trying to turn right into our driveway but didn't swing wide enough...hit the front of the front driver's fender of my '69 Chevy Malibu...ouch! Didn't do enough damage to mess up anything other than cosmetics on either vehicle though.

Any ideas? CV joints? At least that's what they look like...They have a boot and a shaft to take power to the rear wheels. In my old Chevy Citation they used to give me trouble when I turn the wheel (front wheel drive) when they were going bad. Do these need to be greased?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely --

Wil

<tsb> -- dhaslup@erols.com - http://www.erols.com/dhaslup - <tsb>

Of course, the easiest way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. --John D. Spangler

<tsb>