Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:59:58 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YAUMAN@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Are Vanagons more fire oriented than any other old car?
Comments: To: jjvantol@USWEST.NET

>>CIS injection systems typically have plastic lines that get brittle with age, and are also a problem. Stainless braided lines typically last forever.

Joshua Van Tol -- >>>

You have something right there. I remember my first new car, 78 Audi Fox (aka VW Dasher with a trunk!) It has CIS injection and have stainless braided lines. I bought it new in 1978 and when I gave it away 15 years later with 200K miles, all the fuel lines and connecters were original. And that fuel injection system runs at 75 psi - continuous pressure.

The only trouble I got into was the first time I changed the fuel filter. A shocker to have to pay $15 for a fuel filter.. but I forgot - or didn't know I had to also renew the soft copper washers as they cannot be reused after they are compressed. I put the new filter in and it check out ok. But as soon as I used the car, I smelt gas. There was a very fine leak - so fine and at such high pressure, it was atomised as soon as it hits the air so it was not very visible. No amount of tightening would get rid of it... until I changed the copper washers and with the right torque, the leak stopped. Here is a case that if it was a rear engine van, I would not have probably smell the leak till it is too late. Glad the fuel filter on that car was right at the firewall below the ventillation air intake covert!

I guess with the much more complex fuel system requiring a lot more hose and connector, VW must have decided not to go with the stainless braided hose.. to bad..

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL