Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:04:14 -0800
From:         Graham Challis <gchallis@CENTUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are Vanagons more fire oriented than any other old car?
Comments: To: David-M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

A topical posting! Last night my wife managed to get through a complete tankful on our '90 Country Homes converted vanagon in 8 miles without realizing there was anything amiss until she noticed the gas gauge was on empty and there was that smell when she stopped to pick up the kids from school! The return line back to the tank was leaking where it clamps onto the more rigid line just beyond the engine compartment. I suspect this joint was affected partly because of age (8 yr, 120,000 mi) but also perhaps because the week prior I had an auto trans. pan gasket leak on an S.F. to L.A. trip which had coated everything in ATF; the repair shop steam cleaned the tranmission/engine area - this may have pushed the line over the edge.

BTW, great site! I've only just joined the list, am extremely impressed with the collective energy and enthusiasm of you all. The administrator has my deepest admiration and condolences!

Graham '90 Country homes Vanagon