Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:13:41 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Longevity tips (longish)

Since someone asked, here is my story:

Bought my '84 Westy in 1986 with 30K on it, a full camper set up never used. It was a VW lemon buy back from California, and I was told it had fuel injection problems but that this dealer had fixed them. I am a fearless idiot and somewhat of a mechanic, so I went for it, $12,500 including an extended warranty to 50k.

Within a day I found it bucked badly at any cruising speed below 65 mph. I bought the Bentley and went through really basic stuff and discovered that the low speed throttle switch had been improperly set at the factory (paint mark still in place)! I can't believe VW mechanics couldn't find that, and I could see why the owner forced the buy back, which took her two years.

Heads blew first at 60,000 and VW picked up all but some labor charges. They blew again at 91k in 1991, and VW picked up all but $750, since only one head was replaced with a new one and one was rebuilt and failed. They put two new heads on this time.

Since then I have done the following:

Changed oil (10/40 mineral based) and filter every 5000 miles Changed coolant every three years, using the cheapest non-phosphate brand I can find Used Red Line MT 90 in the trans axle since it was rebuilt at 105,000

These are basic, but here are two things I think have made a difference:

Using a product called "No-rosion" from Applied Chemical Specialties in the cooling system, and adding a 10 gauge ground wire connected from the right head to the common ground on the case and back to the body.

You can get info on No-Rosion by calling 800-845-8523, they don't have a Web site. The product is basically a chemical buffer with additives that prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals. I add it every 15,000 miles, and it cost less than $5 per treatment. It was designed for stored classics and race cars that use only water in the cooling systems.

Every morning I head out and immediately go up a half mile steep hill, and my engine is still strong and only blows a little smoke on start up for about a minute. I have no complaints about the service this motor has given.

Anyone else have some tips? Any others with more than 100K on their heads?

Stuart