Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:26:16 -0500
From:         Frank Miller <fmiller01@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Out of state purchases.

I'd agree with Stuart to do this deal via FedEx with the bank. Here in Ohio, you can get a 30-day tag on an out-of-state vehicle for the purpose of transporting it & getting it inspected (just a required confirmation of VIN number) prior to being able to title & register the vehicle here. I bought my Vanagon in Indiana and this worked OK for me. Once you sign over the title, the vehicle's no longer yours, even if you don't have the cash inhand yet. If you let the buyer take the van with the understanding that they will go to the bank on Monday, what happens if the buyer has problems on the trip home from PA. Odds are they might try to back out of the deal, even though they are the legal owner. I wouldn't take the chance. Let them come get the van after you receive your payment from the bank.

Frank Miller

At 08:12 AM 1/7/99 -0800, you wrote: >If you want to do this deal Fed Ex the title to the bank for Monday >delivery. Write up a bill of sale that includes the year, make, model, >price and the statement "as is where is" and each of you keep a signed >and notarized copy. > >If the buyer has an accident your insurance company and his will settle >the loss based on who actually owns the vehicle, which will probably be >you until you have the funds, so make sure he has insurance, and check >with your agent too. > >I used to be a broker and never had a problem, just be sure you >understand the laws of your state regarding title transfers and sales >agreements. > >Stuart >