Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:34:50 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: SUVs VS TINCANS!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> No.. Vanagons are classified as TRUCKS and so are SUV's. So says EPA > > Yau-Man Chan > 87 GL "Truck" > >> > >then why does it say "'84 VW station wagon" on my title??? > >chris >'84 vanagon

Damn well better believe they are "station wagons" to the federal government. VW was very picky about that classification early on as it allowed them to avoid the import taxes levied against them in the "truck" arena. The main reason the single and dual cabs never found their ways in greater numbers into the country. Most state titles I have seen in the mid atlantic and elsewhere I have purchased vans (PA, WV, DC, MD, NJ, VA) carry the proper "station wagon" designation on the origional title and continue it if the guy/gal making minimum wage+ at the DMV takes the time to write it as such on mine, though a lot say, aren't those vans? Was more common to see it during the Bus years though. Regardless it is still a "truck" per say but not really in an American sense surely. Yeah they have a hefty ladder style suspension but unlike any American offering of the 60's vintage are semiunibody creations, never with a seperable frame. And of course full independent then IRS suspension became extant back when Duntov was begging Chevy to let him put one on the vette (not even with CV's) let alone it trickling down to any truck. So the wonderful VW "station wagon" as we all well know has always been an eclectic mix of technologies, some advanced, some painfully archaic and held far too long into the 80's, which is why they kissed their market share goodbye in '85 or so.

John janderson@iolinc.net