Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:22:45 +0100
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Bosch DE headlights replaces DOT rectangulars, Vangon too

Hello All,

My '80 Vanagon is still equipped with some dark 45/55 Watts Bilux headlights. They should be upgraded, choices are standard round H4, standard rectangular H4, Projektzwo grille with H4 or DE headlights. The South Africa quad round could also be a choice. I would love to get some DE headlight system like those sold by Projektzwo, but I will not spend the 480.- USD for that system.

A few days ago I got a catalog of auto and truck parts, and I tested if it is usable to find common parts of different vehicle makes. I remembered my headlight problem and tried my luck. Start was the headlight system of my disassembled '82 Audi 200. Its the four quad headlight system with H4 dual and H1 high beams which meets both the dimensions of DOT 6.5x4.2 inch standard headlights. I checked, what kind of cars are using this headlights. I got a list of more than twenty different cars with German and Japan origin and sold on the German market. On the trucks list I tried same. On the high beams I found some coaches using this Audi H1. But on low beams, this coaches were delivered with Bosch DE headlights on same dimensions of DOT 6.5x4.2 inch standards. This can't be an accident.

After some thoughts back and forth I ordered the left Bosch DE headlight to test it. It will go into the Audi frame and with some brackets it will replace the round Vanagon headlights. That's the plan. If the headlight will not fit I can accept the loss of 81.- USD I spent for the headlight.

I got the Bosch DE Headlight for testing today. The headlight frame was disassembled and I replaced the outer H4 headlight. The Bosch headlight fits perfectly into the DOT frame, I'm sure, it is designed for this. That's for now.

But there are two minus: The outer lens of the Boschs is flat, it is on same level as the outer securing DOT brackets. The AUDI lenses (lights are made by Hella) do have their surface 0.7 inches in front of the brackets. This is an optical minus, the headlight mask of AUDI 200 ends at same level as the securing brackets. It will be possible to get a view of the inner mountings looking beside the lenses. Additionally the DE looks deeper inside the grille as the H1. The other minus is, that the DE builds deeper into the grille as the H4. In total the DE is 7.6 inches deep, the H4 only 4.5 inches (but w/o bulb sockets). I will check if the DE will fit into the Vanagon on left side, as this side is more difficult because of cabelings. The Projektzwo fits, and I guess, the Bosch will fit, too.

Of cause, the grille have to be modified. The headlight mask of the Audi measures about 15.6x6.0 inches and I wonder, if the Vanagon rectangular grille will fit.

What's about the costs of this project? Two Bosch DE headlights, 81.- USD each, two H1 bulbs, 3.- USD each, and some other parts adds up to about 200.- USD. Audi 200 DOT headlight frames, H1 high beams and headlight mask should be added, too, but this parts are boring around in my warehouse. The total price is significantly below the price of Projektzwo, grille and brackets have to be made by my own.

I will keep you informed about the ongoing project.

For those owning vehicles with DOT 6.5x4.2 inch rectangular headlights: You can easily upgrade to the Bosch DE lights if the free space behind the mounting brackets exceeds 6.5 inches. To get that measurement, just remove the low beams by releasing the four mounting screws of the securing bracket. On the four edges of the mounting brackets there are rectangular holes. From the surface of this hole, measure into the car on every of the four edges. If there are more than 6.5 inches, order your set of DE headlights. No modifications other than replacing the bulb sockets are needed.

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi