Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:12:22 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YAUMAN@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Convex right side mirror: Do they exist&do you like?
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

>>> Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM> 01/16 8:25 AM >>> Did the Vanagon ever come with non-electric convex outside right door-mounted mirrors. The kind that says "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." >> No, I don't think it ever did.

>>If they did and you've got experience with them how do they rate? I've never owned a car with this convex-type mirror. But I drove my sister's mini-van (a van called Quest) and the convex mirror seemed to be an asset for lane changes in the potentially blind spot. Is this a good idea for my Vanagon? >> Aaahh.. the Nissan Quest.. aka Ford Windstar.. it was my favorite minivan .. but I digress.. My other car have the convex-type right outside mirror.. and I don't like it. It is difficult to get use to..you still need to turn your head before changing lanes on the freeway..

>>If I'm reading the catalogue right WCM sells a "convex head" non-electric

mirror for the vangon for about $95--ouch. Are there cheaper options? >> I suggest you get one those plastic fresnel lens (pronounce "fren-nell" ) and stick it on to your rear window. The lower center is the best place for it. This will give you a very good view of all traffic behind you just by looking in your rear view mirrors. They are sold by most autoparts stores - one brand is "Van Eyes" They don't last forever.. they get yellowish and less tranparent after a while and have to be renewed every 5-6 year..but it's an effective and cheap solution. Also, it helps a great deal with parallel parking.. you can reall see the other guys bumper when backing into a parking space.

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL