Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:40:03 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: audio system upgrades
Comments: To: The Henry's <jch@VNET.NET>

Henry, I just finished putting a Sony XR1750 FM/AM Cassette Stereo in my 90 Westy Syncro. I have stock antenna and speakers so I can't help you much there. But I can tell you that the limiting factor for the Radio/Cassette unit is the depth measurement. The distance between the outside of the dash surface and the rear part the dash is limited. But it is complicated by the fact that this rear part of the dash is sloped and there are indents to the left and right of the center brace. The indents give more room for the wire connections. So the bottom line is that the most restrictive dimension is the distance from the outside of the dash surface at the lower edge of the hole to the point on the back side of the dash where the rear lower edge (the slope of the rear part of the dash gives more room for the upper rear edge of the radio) of the radio would touch if it is deep enough. What I found was that for my stock radio that measurement was 5 7/8 inches. I managed to get the Sony XR1750 to fit with some effort, but no spacers moving the face plate of the radio out or shaving of the back side of the dash were necessary. The measurement of the Sony XR1750 from the back side of the face plate to the lower rear edge of the metal box was 6 inches (not including wire connector flanges). I don't think I could have gotten anything larger to fit without some alterations. I bought my Sony from Crutchfield. The measurements that they give you in the catalogue for depth are for what they call "easy fit". They said that the Sony XR1750 would not fit which left me with very few choices. After pulling the stock unit, making careful measurements, and talking to four different Crutchfield sales people until I found on that would/could give me the actual measurements of the Sony unit (instead of their "easy fit" measurements which allow extra room for wires, etc.), I determined that the Sony would fit. But it was very snug!!! Good Luck Bill 90 Westy Syncro Lake Tahoe -----Original Message----- From: The Henry's <jch@VNET.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Saturday, January 16, 1999 6:17 PM Subject: audio system upgrades