Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:01:50 +0100
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: square headlight upgrade kit
Comments: cc: lindgre@ONLINE.NO

PerL wrote:

>What I would like to do is replace the H4 >unit with a DE low beam only unit, and let >the low beam stay on, even if the highbeams >are on. With aux. highs, this could be done, >as most european cars with dual headlights >have this setup. I invested some time to find out details about the Hella DE headlight units. Unfortunately, I found no data about the Vanagon grille replacement, but for the Golf II, which is, except the grille, similar to the Vanagon one.

Parts and Prices (in DM): Whole Set 1DL 004 820-801 696.- Golf II grille 9AR 130 567-011 175.- DE Headlight 1 1BL 005 740-091 182.- DE Headlight 2 1BL 005 740-101 182.- High Beam left 1FE 130 573-001 79.80 High Beam right 1FE 130 484-001 79.80 Bulb Sockets 9FF 135 906-021 4.90 Wiring 8KA 130 642-001 17.50 Bulb H1 12V 55W 8GH 002 089-131 9.30 Bulb T4W 12V 4W 8GP 002 067-121 1.05 Bulb H2 12V 55W 8GH 002 857-121 11.20

The lens of the DEs and high beams is a rounded rectangle with a length of 190x132 mm.

How does the Hella DE mount to the vehicle? The beam includes three mounting brackets, two on each upper corner, one the inner lower corner. The inner upper is static, as the other two should be equipped with screws to adjust the beam to the right angle. The hole pattern could be describes as a rectangle with 197x144 mm edge length.

Now it's your turn to check, if this beam will meet the Vanagon rectangular mounting brackets.

The beams will come with a mounting bracket themselves which will fit, as I guess, the Golf II mountings. The Hella brackets got four holes to mount it onto the vehicle frame. The distances of this holes could be described as a rectangle with an edge length of 170x90 mm.

I have no information about the depth of the Hella DEs, but they should be same as the Boschs and, for sure, they will meet the Vanagon body as you may check this on the Projektzwo web site.

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi