Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:41:37 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Shock absorbers
Comments: To: d.yates@botany.uq.edu.au, type2@type2.com

I have an '82 also, and the original shocks that suprisingly still work fine. (Unlike the crap some other VW products came with) I think they will simply rust out before they get soft from wear. Just do the standard test: Stand on the bumber in one corner. Jump off. The bus should rise up but not keep moving up and down.

The shocks on my Quantum (B2 chassis Passat) are temp sensitive! In the cold they get too stiff (maybe moisture in the oil?) and that makes for a real bumpy ride and not optimal road contact. Don't know what replacement # I'm on the Quantum, but they definitely don't last 17 years like the '82 Westy.

Guess you won't have that cold problem where you are. GF is postdocing at UNSW and tells me about all the fun outdoor stuff she does while I sit here and freeze... any cheap plane tickets?

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------