Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:32:17 -0500
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Another leak

Well,

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I found another coolant leak. The good news is that at least the puddle on the carport floor every morning isn't coming all from the head gaskets! There is a large plastic plumbing fixture on the left front of the engine compartment, with large and small water hoses going in and out of it -- going from the water pump, the oil cooler, that silly plastic ring tube (what is that for, anyway?) and so on -- I have never seen so much plumbing! I assume that this thing houses the water thermostat. It has a bleed screw on top, and two sensors coming out of the side. My questions are:

1: Why are there two sensors? I can see one as a coolant temperature sensor. What is the other one for? The only thing that I can think of is that one is for the guage, and one is for the computer. This seems wasteful and redundant - but it wouldn't surprise me.

2: My leak is coming out of one of the sensor sockets, even though the U-shaped clip is securely fastened. Is there some sort of gasket or washer that I can buy for this sensor socket? I wouldn't have to buy the whole sensor, would I?

3: Could the housing be cracked, potentially? I'd hate to have to replace that thing!

Thanks,

Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se