Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:45:49 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Help, Shifting/Clutch Problem???
Comments: To: Vanadiesel@AOL.COM

Is the clutch releasing properly? If the clutch is still dragging when it should be released you get hard shifting and possible grinding, especially going into reverse, since that one is unsynchronized.

If you are lucky the problem could be solved by just bleeding the clutch hydraulic circuit! Make sure to keep the brake fluid over the draw off to the clutch circuit halfway up on the side.

If you are unlucky you may have problems with your gearbox. But make sure the clutch is not the problem before investigating the tranny. If you need a tranny though I've got a spare for the Diesel.

/Martin

>From: Michael Avrea <Vanadiesel@AOL.COM> > > Hi All, > I have an 82 diesel Westy which I got a few months ago. Engine >is running good but I've had a lot of noise (rumbling like?) when I >put the clutch in right from the start. When I let it out the noise >would go away. Also have had trouble getting into reverse without >grinding. Otherwise the clutch and shifting has been working well. > Suddenly today I starting getting a feeling that something was >grabbing a little as I would come to a stop. Also several times I had >trouble getting it to go in gear when I was going slow, and had the >gears grind as I put it into fourth a few times. The clutch is not >slipping though. Any ideas?? I am not a mechanic however I do have a >decent number of tools and as money is tight I try to fix things >myself if the repair is not to complex. Thanks so much for any help >on this. Michael

-- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------