Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:43:39 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Window molding
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> severe at the clip. My guess is that origionally the metal and platic were > somehow bonded together and have now seperated allowing the water in. What > are these trim strips made of in your experience and why remove them if > they are not rusting? > >>

>you can remove these trim strips from the window rubber, and wont experience >any leakage. > >chris

A pretty bold and incorrect statement in my experience. True in the absolute sense that the strip does not cover a leak path through the rubber seal, BUT that plastic strip is more than decorative, it wedges the rubber apart, removing it relaxes the tight fit in the frame, considerably (try some day the difference between pulling a piece of glass with the strip in vs with it out.) Now on late vans the rubber is glued circumferentially anyhow, so removing the strip wouldn't be so bad as on a Bus or an early van, but this is a critical mistake on a bay in the corners of the windshield and on the van. One should never reinstall an old seal in general but if you do, it SHOULD be reinstalled with the relatively cheap strip replaced (as getting the origional out alive is less than a 50/50 bet with any age to it, and as I mentioned it is removed if you want to attempt to salvage the rubber on removal.) I would never tempt fate and pull the strip cause it looked bad no matter how cracked, oxidized, shrunk, whatever, you are tempting fate. Also note I don't imagine it is replaceable without pulling the glass and inserting in the rubber then reinstalling, not in my experience anyway, maybe someone with the proverbial patience of Job. The molding is there, there for a reason, don't F#$@ with it. Most bay and vanagon leaks occur on the outide lower edges of the seals, particularly in the corners as they age. I've mentioned before Permatex has a flowable silicone sealant about the consistency of glycerin good for an attempt at resealing, you run the tip of the tube under the flap of the rubber. But if your windshield is seeping badly, chances are a new seal, frame repair, etc are going to be in order.

John janderson@iolinc.net