Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:47:35 +0200
From:         Jimmy Sanby <sanbyj@TELKOM.CO.ZA>
Subject:      Re: Help, Shifting/Clutch Problem???
Comments: To: kkorn@JUMP.NET

I am also sure this is a pilot bearing problem. I had the similar experience a few years ago on my '83 2l air cooled bus. When coming to a stop, it appeared as if the clutch was not releasing. My Pilot bearing had almost totally disintegrated and was grabbing on the shaft. I did the job myself, part was very cheep and the engine came out and went in very easily.

Good luck

Jimmy Sanby Cape Town SA '89 Syncro 15"

>>> Ken Korn <kkorn@JUMP.NET> 01/18 7:41 PM >>> Almost certainly the Pilot Bearing. I recently had that problem with my 82 2.0 aircooled Westy. Had a rebuilt engine installed with complete new clutch, but the mechanic installed a bushing from the Sach's clutch kit instead of the proper pilot bearing. The bushing had too large an inside diameter just like a worn out pilot bearing would have.

Symptoms were noise, grinding when shifting, but ONLY when the clutch pedal was depressed. As soon as the pedal was released the noise was gone.

The only way is to remove the tranny, clutch, flywheel, etc to install a new pilot bearing, about a $10 part. Cost estimate from an independent was 5 hours, from the VW dealer was 8 hours. The most difficult part was getting the tranny out and in using a floor jack.

Good luck!

Ken 74 914 2.0 75 914 1.8 82 Westy 2.0 Austin, TX