Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:05:57 -0400
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Spam, spam, spam - the List Admin!
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@volkswagen.org>

>After reading most of the follow up posts to Tim's comment, I must admit >there is almost an even split amongst people who are for vendor >"advertising" as there are people who are against vendor "advertising".

OK, my last post to the list on this, unless my button gets pushed again...

a couple of longstanding problems with this list

1) no FAQ. 2) no 'welcome' statement/info for newbies. 3) little reference to the vanagon website or archives. 4) no FS/Wanted section on website for ALL private sales of parts/vehicles

One huge pile of newbie list traffic could be eliminated by posting a battery FAQ, a tire FAQ, an FI FAQ, a D-I-Y FAQ etc etc, all found via the website. This is the fault of longterm members for not having done so already. I once tried for a'Digital Bentley' online repair manual to answer a lot of probs and allow folks to gauge what it would take to fix theirs. Since 8 people (the response I got) is not enough to pull this off it's dead. Anyone want to take this up again? Same for developing a FAQ library, one person want to coordinate for each section? Time the entire V@L community pulled its hands out of its pockets and did something as a group. This list crawls compared to pre-split days when the aircooled folks were still with us. I detect not only a loss of community but also a loss of concern about it, which reflects badly on wasser folks. Perhaps a different mindset at work, too bad.

The welcome to V@L message needs to point out what's available and where, especially since we've just lost Joel's Weakly Statz, (thanks for doing it so long Unca Joel).

Finally, the vanagon website..... needs a manager who actively promotes and develops the site. We had good growth in there initially (thanks Ron L.), but it needs adding/updating. Volunteer(s)??

Given a good welcome, good website, good FAQs this list could cut down traffic levels a lot.

Finally.... advertising (nope I didn't forget!) ALL vendors are listed on the vanagon website (aren't they?), and any with links have them posted there. If you want to shop, go to the catalogue. If you want monthly specials, go look for them at vendors' sites each month. Make it a habit! The 'welcome' message can drum this point home to all who sign up, saving vendors from plugging stuff on the list.

This list has launched at least 3 vendors into VW sales, the list doesn't owe it to these vendors to keep them in business nor provide their main line of advertising. And I don't consider buying parts cheaply as a personal favour in any way, it's simply good salesweaselship to keep prices low and boost volume, so says Tom Waites. Maybe you are grateful for not having to pay dealer prices anymore, but let's not get too giddy about this, it's business, nothing more.

As for David's suggestion about advertising.. the idea of one day a week is great, a full advertising day, no holds barred. I'll stay home. I'm just getting tired of seeing "I have that for $xx" in response to every query about fixing our vanagons.

Keep those P-flames coming folks, like water off a ducks back :). I've been around long enough to know that e-commerce did NOT build the net, nor was it built for them. ANY advertising is SPAM, slice it how you like.

And please don't reply to this on the list, I'm defeating my main objective that way, list traffic is out of control enough already. Once people get used to browsing the vanagon website first not last maybe things will clear.

bye, Tim