Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:50:57 -0600
From:         "Robert S.Williams, MD-laptop" <rwill@DIGITECHS.COM>
Subject:      82 Westie cold start prob sorted

Just an update on my 82 Aircooled Westie with "28 K original miles" *wink* ... first the tranny went bad and was replaced with a used one and a new clutch. THEN on Thanksgiving day, as I was heading east to be with the family for the annual feast, the beastie gave up the ghost just 2 hours away from my final destination. I suspected something was going wrong; I was losing power slowly and the engine was running really rough. The previous day I took it into a shop and the mechanic there pronounced that all it needed was some parts cleaned out and a tune up. He mentioned that #1 cylinder was "weak" but wouldn't elaborate on what that meant. Anyway he assured me I would be good for the trip and so I paid the $175 bill and went merrily on my way.

So I get to Durham NC and the beastie is barely able to make it up the hills... finally I pull over and check it out.... white smoke is blowing steadily out of the crankcase breather tube and the engine is running terribly rough. I didn't even have enough power to get it up the highway off ramp ... so I call a tow truck to a nearby garage.

To make a long story short I have it towed to a Vanagon List Recommended Mechanic in Raleigh. I leave the westie there and order an AVP rebuild. A month later the mechanic and the new engine is ready to install and I watch the mechanic as he singlehandedly installs the rebuild.

Now, this vehicle has had a problem with starting when cold. It would run just fine once the engine warmed up and would restart promptly as long as the engine was warm. I dirtied my hands and wracked my brains innumerable times trying to find and fix the source of this rough cold starting problem. So, Greg (the mechanic) found and fixed the problem: the previous owner had removed the HEAD TEMPERATURE SENSOR ... and the ECU was running as if the head was fully warm all the time.

Now the new engine is in and the vehicle starts like a dream! I won't even mention how much this all cost me... rental cars, airfare, hotels new engine and installation ... it was DAMN EXPENSIVE ... But, I am satisfied with the result. AVP has been wonderful and I would highly recommend (shameless plug):

VILLIAGE MOTOR WERKS 2120 Clark Ave. Raleigh, NC 27605 tel: (919) 832-0899 EMAIL: VMWERKS@aol.com

This shop is a one-man-show and Greg is usually very busy. He personally owns a 81 aircooled westie. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering and is sharp as a tack. His labor is $55/hr and his minimum is $30 if he has to put a vehicle in his garage bay ..yet I saw him do a minor adjustment for a fellow for free while I was there ...

Sorry about the long post but I feel that knowledge of a good honest and sharp VW mechanic is worthwhile to all on the list. I will also ask that he be fully described on the Vanagon Recommended Mechanics list at VANAGON.COM because the listing just says "I spoke with this person but never actually used him" Well, I used him and he is great. Nuff said.

Robert S. Williams, MD KD4ZPH