Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:31:12 -0800
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux battery & isolator
Comments: To: "Pollard, Matthew" <Matthew.Pollard@OREADCA.COM>

Matthew, I've been using the SurePower battery isolator on all my vw campers throughout the years. I just followed the SurePower instructions installing them. On the alternator, all you have to do is take out the regulator, bend over the little copper tab, solder the wire onto it, and hook it up to the R terminal on the isolator. It is actually very easy, and doesn't bother the alternator in any way. You can also always reverse the installation.

I found that with the isolator, the batteries can last a long time. My original Varta battery on my '90 westy lasted until last year. On the smaller 75 amp (?) alternator, I used the model number 952R isolator, maximum 95 amp. On my '90 westy with the 90 amp alternator, I now use model number 1202R, maximum 120 amp.

My 1990 vanagon burned out the 952R, so I replaced it after 4 years with the stronger 1202R. When it broke, all it did was connect both batteries.

There was a really interesting thread on isolators versus relays, etc. a couple of years back. You can read it in the archives under title "Re:Charging Second Battery", dates "10/28/97 8:28 pm to 10/30/97 4:14 pm". There is also a posting that I wrote with my isolator installation notes under author "harald.nancy" on 10/29/97 11:07pm.

Hope this helps. Harald '90 westy

Matthew wrote: > I have a SurePower battery isolator. It is of the solid state (as opposed to > relay) variety. It is made for vanagons specifically. Has anybody had any > experience with installing these jobbies? The instructions call for some > alternator tinkering, why? Can some one explain what the internal regulator > does and why that function needs to be routed to the isolator. Will this > tinkering jeopardize the integrity and reliability of my alternator? > > How does the VW isolator work? Where is it connected and to what? Is this > something that someone with some electrical background can quickly fashion ?